Are Shoe Sizes Keeping Up With Women’s Increasing Sizes?
Women’s feet have increased two sizes since the 1970s, and yet their shoe sizes haven’t. Women who have larger feet are, unfortunately, left out and have few options. Some girls have resorted to wearing boys’ shoes, which are not properly fitted for women; this can lead to an increase risk of falling and other issues. Several experts blame this on overseas production and it not being cost-effective to make bigger shoes. Bigger shoes cost more to make; however, they are accounting for larger percentages in the footwear market. A few experts recommend buying from German companies, who have kept up with foot size increases. It is important that not only women, but also men, wear properly fitted shoes. Shoes that are too small can lead to issues like plantar fasciitis, corns, hammertoes, and a number of ailments that cause foot pain.
Getting the right shoe size is an important part of proper foot health. Seek the assistance of Dr. Harry I. Zirna from Lockport Foot Care, PLLC. Dr. Zirna will provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Getting the Right Shoe Size
There are many people who wear shoes that are the incorrect size, negatively affecting their feet and posture. Selecting the right shoes is not a difficult process, so long as you keep several things in mind when it comes to choosing the right pair.
- When visiting the shoe store, use the tools available to measure your foot.
- Be sure there is ‘wiggle room’. There should be about an inch between your toes and the tip of your shoes.
- Do not always assume you are the same size, as manufacturers run differently.
- Purchase shoes later in the day, as your feet swell as the day progresses.
- If a shoe is not comfortable, it is not suitable. Most shoes can’t be ‘broken in’, and comfort should be the ultimate goal when it comes to choosing the right pair of shoes
As our feet hold our body weight and keep us moving, it is important to treat them right. Picking the right pair of shoes can provide your feet comfort and mobility without pain.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Lockport and Medina, NY. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.Read more about Getting the Right Shoe Size: To Keep Your Feet Happy